Dec 09, 2020
Interview with Raji Kolawale
The thought that I have a responsibility to take care of the needy, the less privileged and make the world a better place makes me bounce from setbacks..
Please tell us something about yourself and your family.
My name Is Raji Kolawole, and I am a citizen of Nigeria. I am married and blessed with a set of quadruplets (2 boys and 2 girls). I am a seasoned sales and marketing professional with over 15years of experience. Presently, I work with The Lubrizol Corporation as the Country Manager/Technical Sales Manager.
As a Country Manager and having spent 15 years in Sales, what is one thing that stands out most as learning.
I have been there and I have learnt along the way, I’m a better me now no doubt.
This is one learning that I would like to share, “Challenges are not meant to break you but rather prepare and refine you from that your raw form into a fine state”.
What would you like to learn next? What are your next career steps?
I would like to learn more about the supply chain and logistics. I have spent over 15 years in sales and marketing and to be honest, to be still relevant in this industry, I am convinced learning is best for me as my next career step.
As a working professional, how critical do you think is management skill for carrying out your job/role
Well, there is a book I read called, “How to win friends and influence people”…Dale Carnegie.
You learnt people are the most difficult set of being to manage but once you learnt the act of mastering them, you will get their support. Management skills for me is embodied in 5 things-
1. Communication- You must be able to communicate effectively and in a precise manner so your co-workers don’t take you out of context.
2. Organization- Well organised and prepared.
3. Leadership – You must be a leader and not boss. A leader is always a follower. He carries everybody along.
4. Interpersonal- you must have a behaviour and tactics that can be use to interact with others effectively.
5. Inclusion- We-we attitude is important too.
As the country manager for my company, I have learnt all these and it has been helping me till date.
Describe one thing that makes you feel a sense of accomplishment. Explain why.
Since the beginning of the course, I have had a better understanding of what our international /multinational companies think before entering into a new market and that gave me more insight to what my present company is doing and their expectations. That is quite remarkable.
What helps you to bounce back from setbacks?
- The desire to succeed and make a positive impact.
- My never give up attitude has frequently turned NO as an answer to YES for me.
- The desire to achieve more than my father and be able to stand out.
- The thought that I have a responsibility to take care of the needy, the less privileged and make the world a better place.
- Prayers and beliefs.
What’s the best book you’ve ever read? Why did you like it?
The best book I have ever read is “Rich Dad Poor Dad” by Robert T.Kiyosaki.
- It taught me a lot about how to deal with people and my finances.
- It taught me not to take risks with people who have little or no knowledge about a particular subject matter or business.
- It taught me how quickly you can lose what you have if you don’t invest or use it wisely.
If you could live anywhere, where would you live? Why?
I would love to live in Canada. The reasons are:
- Since I place my family first, I would rather live in a place where there are plenty of opportunities for me, my spouse, and especially our children to live a fulfilled life.
- Because of health and safety policies that are being enjoyed by the citizens.
- Opportunities for growth and ability to gain more experience which can later be transferred.
- Technology advancement.
- Canada’s perception of the environment and a system that works.
- Equal opportunities.
Who is someone you consider a hero in your life? Why?
I would have chosen my father but he never lived long. So I would choose my mum because against all odds she never failed to pray and encourage me.
Latest Insights From Athena
Our Popular Courses
Get in Touch
Fill your details in the form below and we will be in touch to discuss your learning needs